How to find a doula in Ottawa?
Updated: Jun 30
If you're pregnant and living in Ottawa, you are fortunate in that there is a thriving doula community and many different and incredible birth and postpartum doulas to choose from. But where to start your search?? This blog post will give you ideas on how to find the right Ottawa doula for you!
Here are some tips on ways to find, and choose, a doula in the Ottawa area:
1. Ask for referrals: Start by asking your friends, family members, or healthcare provider for recommendations. You can also ask for referrals from any of our amazing local midwifery groups.
2. Check out the OVDA: Ottawa has an association of professional birth and postpartum doulas who service the Ottawa, Gatineau and surrounding areas. Check out their website for a list of professionally trained and certified doulas.
3. Do your research: Once you have a list of potential doulas, do some research on their background, training, experience, and certification. Look for reviews or testimonials from previous clients.
3. Interview several doulas: Schedule a meeting or phone call with the doulas you are considering. Ask them about their approach to childbirth, their availability, fees, and any other concerns you may have. Here is a list of questions that we suggest you ask your birth doula during your call.
4. Check their availability: Make sure the doula you choose will be available during your due date and will be able to attend your birth. Ask about whether they work with a backup doula in case something happens that would prevent your doula from attending your birth.
5. Consider compatibility: It's important to choose a doula you feel comfortable with and who shares your values and preferences. You want someone who you feel comfortable sharing with and who will support your birth choices.
6. Look for certification: While certification is not a requirement for doulas, it can be an indicator of their training and professionalism. Look for doulas who have completed a reputable certification program such as MotherWit Doula Care.
7. Discuss fees: Doula fees can vary widely depending on the experience and training of the doula, as well as the services they provide. Make sure to discuss fees upfront and understand what services are included.
8. Trust your instincts: Ultimately, you want to choose a doula who you feel confident and comfortable with. Trust your intuition and choose the doula who feels like the right fit for your family.
Remember, it is important to interview multiple doulas when searching for the right one for your family. Every doula is different, and each one brings a unique set of skills, experience, and personality to the table. By interviewing multiple doulas, you can get a better sense of what each one has to offer and find the one that is the right fit for your family. You want a doula who shares your values and preferences, who you feel comfortable with, and who can provide the support you need during your pregnancy, labor, and delivery. A doula can play a significant role in your birth experience, so it's essential to take the time to find the one that is the right fit for you and your partner.
Interested in meeting with a Nurtured Birth doula? Schedule a doula discovery call today!